Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Foodie Tuesday: The Best Thing I Ever Ate.

Inspired by one of my favorite Food Network television shows, The Best Thing I Ever Ate, I decided to compile my list of what I consider to be the best of best, what I always crave! The pure thought of each of these foods makes my mouth water! If your ever in NYC, LA, San Francisco, or Phoenix I highly recommend that you try one of these truly "foodie" life-changing restuarants, you'll see...


Delicatessen NYC: Whole Wheat Pancakes, House-made Berry Preserve, citrus cream 
The Best Part: The spongy texture of the batter is unparalleled by any other, it's light, thin, with crispy edges. And not to mention the citrus cream made of mascarpone cheese elevates this stack of flap-jacks to a new dimension! 

La Boulange, San Francisco: Almond Croissant
The Best Part: My motto has always been that there can never be too much almond paste in an almond croissant. This croissant does that saying justice. A thick layer of almond paste wrapped in puff pastry, topped with slivered almonds, what could be better? Don't forget to ask for it toasted, a toasted croissant is an even more magical experience! 

Tao NYC: Pad Thai Noodles
The Best Part: The sauce! I would consider thai to be one of my favorite ethnic foods, pad thai being one of my go-to must haves. However, upon ordering pad thai time and time again hoping to find a west-coast version that mirror the noodles of Tao NYC... Much to my disappointment,  the noodles are usually dry, stuck together, and covered with the unnecessary bulk veggies. The noodles of Tao are truly one of a kind: moist and saucy, flavorful, and just AMAZING!

Hillestone Santa Monica: Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes, with pommery mustard sauce, coleslaw, and vine-ripened tomatoes 
The Best Part: The CRAB! I would say that I am somewhat of a connoisseur of crab cakes, I've tried them all: the good, the bad, and the plain wrong. The crab cakes from Hillestone in Santa Monica are consistently a winner every time. Made with Baltimore lump crab, the crab of these cakes is the true star. Loosely formed with veggies and a little bread crumbs, these cakes put those other pureed, mushy, where is the crab crab cakes to shame. All topped with a tangy grainy mustard sauce that I would eat on its own. 

Hillstone Phoenix: Signature Veggie Burger with sweet soy glaze and melted jack cheese 
The Best Part: Today, a good veggie burger is not too hard to find, as America's many restaurants have expanded their repertoire to accommodate the health oriented few. However, a veggie burger that outshines their competitor, the good-ole beef patty, could be assumedly impossible to find. Unless you go to Hillestone in Phoenix and try their secret  out of this world delicious recipe. Made with rice, beans, veggies, a succulent glaze, and doctored up like a classic burger with cheese, lettuce, pickles, the works--this burger will have you saying, meat who? 

Rosa Mexicano NYC: Guacamole en Molcajete 
The Best Part: Did you add mayonnaise? No. Really! is what my grandma said upon dipping her chip in this creamy, perfectly seasoned, freshly made at our table bowl of guacamole. Rosa Mexicano has got the perfect guac recipe down pat. Made in a traditional molcajete, the texture that is made using only avocado, onion, jalepeno, and tomatoes is so smooth, vibrant, and lick the bottom of your bowl good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment